Monday, November 21, 2005

Blink - Malcolm Gladwell

It's interesting to me how many people I have run into that have read both Blink and The Tipping Point. Malcolm Gladwell is definitely a new age guru, and an articulate one who writes engaging books that speak to a great many people. The most common reaction to Blink is that he forgot to tell us what to do now. He does a great job of explaining how we think without thinking, and the art of thin slicing, and the perils of making poor snap judgments based on long held prejudices. But now what? How do we somehow improve this complex mental process he's so clearly explained to us? I enjoyed the book for the fascinating information it contained and I'm not personally all that troubled over what my brain is doing subconsciously. It's a step in the right direction that I'm at least more aware of it. But it does seem to vex others who have read the book and want that how-to-improve component. Perhaps this is a commentary on the pervasiveness of our self-help culture. If someone else has written the how-to part, please let me know.

No comments: