Monday, May 26, 2008

Excuse Me, Your Life is Waiting - Lynn Grabhorn

Subtitled: The Astonishing Power of Feelings. I got a lot out of this book. It was recommended to me by my business coach - someone I seem to fight less and resist less these days. Now I ask him what book I should be reading and he tells me which one. I approach what he has to say with an open mind. Ah, yes, the mind! It would be easy to connect this book to the well know proverb: “As a man thinketh in his heart, so he is.” (Proverbs, Ch. 23, v.7)

What an idea that our thoughts and our hearts are somehow connected and rule everything that happens in our lives! I have an active life-of-the-mind, but Lynn Grabhorn argues it's really about what we feel. That positive energy, positive thoughts, deciding what we want in life rather than living based on "Don't Wants" is the key to success and happiness. And I do believe her. She uses the word "feeeeelings" throughout the book to emphasize her point that it's not all about analysis and strategy. She contends that what we feel every day feeds "The Law of Attraction." If you send out negative energy, that is what you attract back to yourself. Many times it's the very thing we don't want. But it's subconscious - we don't recognize our own negative thoughts, feelings and ultimately our behaviors. We have to work at feeling positive, because sending that energy into the world is what attracts back to us the very things we want the most.

It's a simple but powerful concept. Don't think it's easy. When you start to consciously "grade" your thoughts and feelings based on whether they are positive or negative, you realize we all subconsciously feed our negative monster without realizing that's what we are doing. Try going through the day aware of all your negative feelings - dirty dishes in the sink, terrible traffic, the slow checker at the grocery store, the cost to fill up our gas tank. We have lots of negative feelings over small stuff. Think about the big stuff: difficult boss, office politics, paying the bills, launching a business, poor relationships, planning the rest of our lives. How much is subconsciously infused with the negative? The "I don't want . . ."

I found the book very motivating and enlightening. I ordered 3 copies, one for each of my children. They may or may not read it, but understanding that what you put out there is what comes back is one of the essential lessons of life. And I am living more consciously aware of my positive and negative feelings and behaviors.

I highly recommend the book whether you are person who can deal with the metaphysical or not. Whatever you call it, the universal law that underlies this book is both valid and real.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Along those same lines, I recently read a blog about a young girl who had just lost her battle with cancer. She was though, very inspirational to all those who met her. Her line was I GET TO. If we change our outlook...instead of saying "I gotta buy that expensive gas" say "I GET TO buy gas today". (How lucky we are to be able to have a nice car and put gas into that car) The thought process and yes the feelings do a 180 degree turn.